ABOUT US ~
The Living Gospel Church
was started in the home of Mother Margaret Houze, who lived at 1251 1/2
E. 34 Street in Los Angeles, California. The Church was
by Brother P.H. Jefferson, who would later become a Bishop with several
churches under his ministry. Brother Jefferson met Mother
at a church meeting in Oakland, California, and saw her again at a
church service in Chino, California. In those days it took
several hours to travel from South Los Angeles to Chino because there
were no freeways. Furthermore, there were no Los Angeles Body
Christ churches and she made the sacrifice of riding in the back of a
pick-up truck to Chino every Sunday, along with her closest friend
Mother Savannah Tolbert. Mother Houze invited Brother Jefferson to
start bible classes in her home and that was the birth of The Living Gospel Church
Houze was influential in bringing several people to the bible class,
and later to the church. Mother Houze and Mother Tolbert
the bible classes and became pillars of the church. Mother
Tolbert kept the church sparkling clean, cooked for most fellowship
meetings, and served as "guardian" of the young people; making sure
they did not destroy church property and were not on the parking lot
being too intimate. Mother Houze's granddaughter, six year
Sarah Jane Houze, was the first young person in the church and she was
in attendance at those bible classes. Sarah would later
Brother Jefferson's daughter-in-law and would be so vital to him as a
caregiver during his dying days. Mother Houze invited several
other members to the church who would serve as faithful members.
Sister Westbrook, a next door neighbor to Mother Houze,
the bible classes and actually became the first guitar and piano player
of the church. Sister Rose Dixon, also invited by Mother
became a faithful member for over twenty years until her death.
In 1951, The Living
became an official church and was incorporated by the State of
California. The location moved from 34th Street to 5332 S.
Boulevard. The church began to grow as God brought in people
various parts of the country. Among those came a lady by the
of Polly Gray. After just one visit to the church, she became a member
and soon became the new pianist. Through Sister Gray, God
in several people to the church, including her nephew, Brother John
Griffin, now a pastor in Pittsburgh, Texas. As the church
to outgrow the Avalon Boulevard location, it was necessary to
move to a larger location. Brother Jefferson made an attempt
purchase a church located on Wall Street and 52nd in Los Angeles.
At the last minute, the seller backed out of the deal and the
sale was voided. The lost sale changed the course of The Living Gospel Church
history as Brother Jefferson was forced to look else where for a
church. In 1957, while praying in the Avalon Boulevard church
during noon day prayer, Brother Jefferson had a vision of an old church
with a steeple and bell. He could hear the bell
he prayed. While continuing to pray, the telephone rang and
Brother Jefferson Answered it. His aunt, Sister Delzine
Evans, a real estate broker at the time in Los Angeles, told him of a
church for sale, located on the corner of Gage and Makee Avenue in Los
Angeles. The church needed a lot of work, including painting, removing
of weeds in the working area, plumbing and more. The church
had a steeple with a bell, but the steeple needed to be repaired.
Immediately, Brother Jefferson took a contingent of people to
see the church and made an offer. God gave the church to The Living Gospel Church
The church flourished on Gage and Makee. God
brought in many people, most notably a neighbor named Sister Geneva
Gaines, a mother of eight children. It was through her church
involvement that God brought in an aggregate of people from Texas.
Also, God brought in a man by the name of Brother Andrew
Jones to bring in many, many people.
In 1970, The Living
moved to its current address of 6601 Compton
Avenue, Los Angeles, California. During the last years of
Bishop Jefferson's ministry, he trained ministers and
eventually pastors were sent out to expend The Living
Gospel to areas in California and other parts of the
country, including the Dallas assembly here in Texas. The
name The Living Gospel
was given directly to Bishop Jefferson by God, who
promised to use him as He (God) had "used other vessels."
Bishop Jefferson passed away on May 24, 1991, having served
for 40 years. He was succeeded by Brother D.L.
Jones who currently serves as the presiding Bishop.
What We Believe